Friday, September 24, 2010

Why An Economist Can't Love Dogs


Since we moved to Oklahoma, we have moved into a house with a fenced in backyard and we're doing well financially. I thought it fitting to convince Bryan that we needed a dog. Bryan has been anti-dog since we were dating. Partly because his family is a no pet family, but mostly because he's an economist.

Today, I sent Bryan a quiz from Animal Planet that tells you what breed dog will be the best fit for you. I thought maybe if he could find a dog that matched his personality and desire for little effort he might find his way to my side of the camp. Oh, boy, was I wrong!

Instead, this is his email:
Alright, I played your game. My result was:
A welsh corgi
http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogprofile.do?id=1170

This does not mean I want a dog!

This site says the cost of owning a dog runs about $1,000 per year. $14,000 over the life of a dog.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2106&aid=1543

The cost of a 1 week Mediterranean Cruise:
$2,000 for plane tickets to Spain
$2,600 for the cruise
$2,000 for gambling, drinking etc

Total: $6,600
http://www.royalcaribbeandeals.co.uk/fusion/detailship.pl?shipid=369&sid=7477

So would you rather have 2 amazing trips and have $800 left over for clothes or a dog?

Ha ha ha. See, I can play this game too.

Love you, my pet.


He beats me on the money and the facts. And that cruise sounds incredible. How can you argue love and affection of a dog against the reasoning of an economist? I'll have to keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment