Thursday, September 23, 2010

An Economist's Birthday


My husband The Economist celebrated his birthday yesterday exactly how he liked.

His present arrived in the mail on Monday, and after a fascinating argument about opportunity cost, he convinced me to let him open it. Why should I let him wait two days to enjoy something that he could enjoy now?

Then, there was his cake. Of course, every year I make something different but it revolves around his favorite flavor: chocolate. This year, I made Snickers Cupcakes. It made sense to use two complementary goods to create one highly demanded product (man, I should be an economist!). These cupcakes are superior to all other cupcakes in that once they are baked from scratch, I cut the center out to fill it with Snickers pieces and frosted them with homemade frosting made from one pound of sugar. Sweet lord, they were sugary! Due to the diminishing marginal returns, we could only enjoy one.

For dinner, we went out to dinner the local steakhouse (there's only one in our small town). It was nice, and Bryan had one of his favorites: a thick, messy burger. We enjoyed some consumer surplus because the dessert was free!

Okay, that's enough of my attempt at economics. Next time, I'll be sure to get Bryan to help me, but it's his birthday, so a man should rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment